Have you or someone you know been charged with a minor offence?
Is there a concern regarding mental health?
If so, then the Court Diversion Program may be able to help you.
What is Mental Health Court Diversion?
Court Diversion is a cooperative program between the criminal justice system and the mental health system to provide direct service to the individuals who have been charged with a minor offense. With the approval of the Crown Attorney, a Diversion Plan will address the mental health factors contributing to the offence.
If you are considered for a diversion, a Court Diversion Mental Health Counsellor will complete an assessment. After the assessment is complete, the Crown Attorney will decide whether to proceed with a Diversion Plan or proceed with the charges in court.
Are you eligible for diversion?
If the following criteria are met, you may qualify for Mental Health Court Diversion:
- You are 16 years of age or older;
- You have been diagnosed with a mental illness or you suspect that you may be mentally ill;
- You have been charged with a minor offence;
- You agree to participate in a diversion program (the program is strictly voluntary); and
- The Crown Attorney recommends the diversion option.
How do I apply for diversion?
A referral for Court Diversion can be made by anyone:
Your lawyer can assist you.
If you do not have a lawyer, discuss mental health diversion with Duty Counsel who is available through the court.
You can contact the Mental Health Court Diversion Program directly by calling 613-968-1111.
What does the Court Diversion Mental Health Counsellor do?
- Links clients with both short and long term supports;
- Provides mental health information to families and others;
- Provides education regarding consumer issues, mental illness and mental health services;
- Provides consultation and advice to the courts;
- Provides progress reports to the courts; and
- Provides consultation for those not accepted for diversion.
Court Diversion workers attend court in Belleville, Picton, Trenton and Bancroft and will meet with clients in applicable municipalities.